Main Content

Home » Exmore, Virginia

Exmore, Virginia

Exmore, founded in 1884 is the fourth largest community on Virginia’s Eastern Shore. The county line where Accomack and Northampton counties meet is just on the North end of town.

There are several different versions of how Exmore got its name. The popular story is that the town was called “Xmore” because it was the tenth station south of the Delaware State line. As legend has it, the theory is that an early railroad-man pulled into the station here, tooted his whistle, and announced “X more to go!”

From North to South the stops were:

  • New Church
  • Hallston (now Hallwood)
  • Metompkin (now Parksley)
  • Accomac (now Tasley)
  • Pungoteague (now Keller)
  • Exmore
  • Birdsnest
  • Eastville
  • Cape Charles

*Kirk Mariner – Off 13 copyright 2000.

 

No Matches Found

Skip to content